Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine, I'm All In.

I am celebrating Valentine's Day this year.

For the first time in many. Probably the first time since I've been married.

When I was in high school, I'd obsess over V-Day. Would I get a surprise bouquet of roses? Would I have a secret admirer? How many carnations would my friends send me and would I have more than the chick with the locker above mine? Would that boy I looked at in English class declare his love to me?

In college, when I met my future husband, we'd celebrate with flowers, candy, dinner. It was fun, but we were a bit "above" all that. Our love was deeper than chocolate and romantic dinners.

Then, we were married. We showed each other our love every day. Not just one day a year. Jeez, this was serious... marriage.  We had friends who purposely didn't celebrate Valentine's Day because they felt that it demeaned their marriage - that they would show love on Valentine's Day somehow told the world that maybe they didn't show their love on the other 364 days of the year. Or something like that. "Why should I bring her roses on February 14th when I bring her coffee every morning."

So, we ignored the holiday. I'd make crafts with the kids, cards for their friends. Hand out a coloring sheet. Give my husband a kiss on the cheek and a card. If I remembered.

Then, last week, it hit me.

I need a little cheesy romance!

I've been married to this guy for almost 13 years now. What's the problem with some chocolate, a rose, a big annoying foil card with glitter falling out sprayed with perfume? Is that so wrong? Why relegate this day to the 16-25 year-olds who are just dating... still finding their "one". I've been MARRIED to this guy for 12 years! We have 4 children! We've been through losing a job, the death of a parent, surgeries, miscarriage and midnight feedings for crying out loud. We pay bills. We dream of our children's futures. We plan imaginary trips to Chile and Ireland. Who, if not us, deserves a cheesy day full of love? Just to remember that behind, in front of, and through ALL of this, we do really and truly love each other.

So, I say, bring on the giddy poetry, the pink and red, the roses and movies with predictable endings. I don't mind the world helping me remember who I love. And why.

Yes, I'm all in.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Welcome back to the blogging world. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you been married for almost 13 years? Your daughter is almost 12! ;-)

    ReplyDelete